Wednesday, November 6, 2013

The Birth of John the Baptist (Luke 1:5–80)

This semester at BYUI, I'm taking a course on the New Testament. We will be looking at the four gospels which are: Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. One of my assignments every week is to share and report about what I learned. This week I started to learn even more about John the Baptist. In Luke 1:13-14, Zacharias, who is John the Baptist's Father, was told that his son would "...have joy and gladness; and many shall rejoice at his birth (Luke 1:14)." If I was told that my son would have many rejoice at his birth, I would be so excited and even more curious on why he would be so important. In Luke 1, it explains the importance of John the Baptist. In Luke 1:76-80 it says "And thou, child, shalt be called the prophet of the Highest: for thou shalt go before the face of the Lord to prepare his ways; (77) To give knowledge of salvation unto his people by the remission of their sins, (78) Through the tender mercy of our God; whereby the dayspring from on high hath visited us, (79) To give light to them that sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, to guide our feet into the way of peace. (80) And the child grew, and waxed strong in spirit, and was in the deserts till the day of his shewing unto Israel." John the Baptist was known as one of the greatest missionary. His ministry was focused on bringing others to Christ because he wanted us to feel peace and comfort. He exhibited a love for others like Christ did.

No comments: