Saturday, December 7, 2013

The Savior Taught the Apostles about Leadership Through Service


Jesus Truly loved his disciples and the people of the world so much that he would always look for ways to serve them. Even if it seemed like the lowest job you could do. In John 13:16, Jesus said “Verily, verily, I say unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord; neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him.” While typing this, I had the song “Have I done any Good in the World Today?” playing. A certain part of the lyrics stood out to me which was “’Tis noble of man to work and to give; Love’s labor has merit alone. Only he who does something helps others to live. To God each good work will be known.” We know we must serve to be like Christ and we know if we do, we will receive our reward in heaven. In Luke 22 it says “(26) But ye shall not be so: but he that is greatest among you, let him be as the younger; and he that is chief, as he that doth serve.(27) For whether is greater, he that sitteth at meat, or he that serveth? is not he that sitteth at meat? but I am among you as he that serveth.” Lastly in Mark 10:45 “For even the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many.”

Elder Dallion H. Oaks told a of story about President Thomas S. Monson. “ [Thomas S. Monson] taught Brigham Young University students that their student days should include “the matter of spiritual preparation,” including service to others. “An attitude of love characterized the mission of the Master,” President Monson said. “[Jesus Christ] gave sight to the blind, legs to the lame, and life to the dead. Perhaps when we [face] our Maker, we will not be asked, ‘How many positions did you hold?’ but rather, ‘How many people did you help?’ In reality,” President Monson concluded, “you can never love the Lord until you serve Him by serving His people.”


When I was a laurel in Young Womens (a program for girls 12-18 years old to learn more about Christ and more about themselves as daughters of God), I was very concerned about my grades; especially when midterms and finals came around. I would spend days just studying, trying to get ready for my finals. I remember feeling very frustrated with school and I was planning not to go to seminary so I could study even more. I heard a knock at the door so I went downstairs and answered it. My young women leaders had made all the high school girls a study break bag full of goodies, extra school supplies, and some quotes from the prophets. That small act of kindness helped me realize no matter how hard life gets, I need the gospel in my life. I went to bed early and went to seminary the next morning. My leaders will never know how grateful I am for that act of service. It was the perfect thing I needed at that certain point of time.



Christ’s life was full of service. We know that if we want to be anything like him, we must serve our brothers and sisters on earth. Which are our family, friends, neighbors, acquaintances and yes, even our enemies. I testify that if we do this, we will become closer to the Lord. We will feel the spirit more in our life and we will be a tool in the Lord’s hands. I’m so grateful for Jesus Christ and I know that He atoned for my sins as well as yours. I testify that you will be able to find so many examples of this in the Bible and in the Book of Mormon. I promise you, that if you really want to that what I say is true, pull out the Bible and the Book of Mormon. I promise you that you will be able to find they teach the same thing. Which is: Jesus is the Christ, the Savior and Redeemer of the World, and He has come to earth. He ministered unto those who needed it most which was all of our ancestors, their friends, and enemies. Through the Prophets the Lord has called upon the earth today, we still can be ministered unto. I know that Christ lives and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is Jesus Christ’s church upon the earth today. To find out more about the truthfulness of which I speak look up: http://mormon.org/beliefs/jesus-christ  . You can also look at my testimony, just click my testimony in the top right hand corner. If you have a specific questions for me, please comment. I will answer your questions. This is my testimony. Wouldn't you want to know for yourself of which I speak?

No comments: